Housing and Welfare Benefit Advisor
|Hours of work:
||37.5 hours per week
||£27,000 per anum
||25 days annual leave plus statutory bank holidays
||Various Sites across North Northamptonshire
||Advice Services Pjoject Lead
Purpose of the Job:
Deliver a professional, impartial, pragmatic and outcome focussed advice service to beneficiaries whilst working to Accommodation Concern Quality Standards, Policies and Procedures and Regulatory Requirements.
To provide advice/casework on all areas of housing law, having regard for relevant legislation, guidance and case law - meeting the requirements of the Advice Service Alliance Standard for advice case work relating to Welfare Benefits, Debt and Housing.
To provide advice/case work on Welfare benefit issues to ensure income maximisation is achieved for beneficiaries. Signposting to other local specialist agencies for expertise when required.
- Provision of independent housing, homelessness, (benefit, debt where linked) advice and case work.
- Provision of advice on housing options in order to prevent homelessness.
- To provide advice to clients wanting to use Keyways, the Council’s choice based allocations scheme.
- Conducting initial client interviews within diverse operational sites.
- General level advocacy and negotiation on behalf of client to other agencies/ authorities.
- Telephone advice as appropriate.
- Agree client needs and identify desired outcomes/actions.
- Initial contact/referral with other agencies to help coordinate services.
- Statutory challenge under Sections 202 of the Housing Act 1996 Part7 (as amended) and other challenge /advocacy means regarding sections 183, 188, of the Act.
- Housing Act 1996 Part 6 advocacy and statutory challenge.
- Supporting where appropriate court representation and liaising with relevant professionals on the client’s behalf.
- Income maximisation through money, debt and welfare casework and representation (where linked to a housing case).
- To maintain the accurate recording of client contacts and feedback within statistical software packages.
- Writing/setting case outcome inline with S.M.A.R.T Principles.
- Work in accordance with the AQS operating model for casework management.
- Meet management performance targets.
- To support your Line Manager to ensure that the Advice Centre remains compliant and meets all regulatory requirements eg CMA Debt centre & FCA.
- To work and liaise with other Advisors, to share information and to support best practice.
- To refer clients to other colleagues /services to assist in meeting any identified needs and liaise and negotiate with relevant agencies.
- Maintain up to date knowledge around homelessness/housing system, case law and the effects of any reform and forthcoming changes.
- Work collaboratively with other colleagues in the team and wider organisation to enhance the services provided.
- Provide cover for the other Advice Team members when required (may include Housing, Debt and/or Welfare Benefits Advice).
- To prepare statistical reports, written reports, case studies and any other feedback relevant to the service.
- To meet defined objectives and targets relating to service delivery and specific project work.
- To undertake a range of consultation and evaluation processes with clients as required.
- To maintain and develop partnerships with a range of key stakeholders.
- To undertake all relevant administrative tasks as necessary.
- To adhere to the charity’s policy and procedures, including safeguarding reporting, interventions and disclosures.
- To attend meetings and training as necessary.
- Undertake any other reasonable tasks as requested by your Manager.
Annual objectives will be set for this role which will be used to monitor and evaluate performance within the appraisal system.
This job description may be subject to review in light of the developing organisation and in consultation with the post holder.